Who Should Get a Cochlear Implant?
A cochlear implant may be right for you, if you:
- Have inner ear hearing loss
- Have trouble understanding speech even with properly fit hearing aids
- Are motivated and have a support system that can help them or loved one understand sounds and speech
- For children with hearing loss severe enough that hearing aids are not adequate, starting cochlear implant use as early as possible leads to better hearing and ability to use and understand spoken language.
- Candidates must also understand that after getting a cochlear implant you must undergo activation, programming and rehabilitation.
Benefits of a Cochlear Implant
Cochlear implants help restore the ability to understand spoken language, which can improve the person’s quality of life when hearing aids do not provide speech understanding.
People with cochlear implants report the following benefits:
- The ability to hear their own voice helping them improve how they pronounce words and the tone of their voice
- Easier communication with friends and family
- The ability to hear the sounds around them for safety and better quality of life
- For babies born with hearing loss or young children with progressive hearing loss, early cochlear implantation provides the opportunity to meet developmental milestones similar to their peers.